09
November
2023
|
19:43
Europe/Amsterdam

Sustainable aviation fuels now available for all Eurowings flights

Germany's largest holiday airline introduces "PlanetBlu": Reduce and offset flight-related CO2 emissions with optional packages

More choice for lower-emission flying: With "PlanetBlu", Eurowings, Germany's largest holiday airline, is introducing new reduction and compensation packages with which passengers can offset the CO₂ emissions generated during a flight. For the first time, sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) can be selected directly during the booking process in two of the three new package options. SAF is produced from biogenic residues such as used cooking oils and reduces CO₂ emissions by up to 80 percent compared to fossil fuels – an alternative to fossil aviation fuel and essential for the energy transition in aviation. The Lufthansa Group is already one of the world's five largest SAF customers. The package price depends on the length of the flight route.

PlanetBlu package options

  • PlanetBlu Pro: Sustainable fuels reduce 20% of flight-related CO₂ emissions, 80% of flight-related CO₂ emissions are offset by contributing to high-quality climate protection projects.
  • PlanetBlu Plus: 10% of flight-related CO₂ emissions are reduced by sustainable fuels, the remaining 90% are offset by contributing to high-quality climate protection projects.
  • PlanetBlu: With the surcharge, 100% of flight-related CO₂ emissions are offset by contributing to high-quality climate protection projects. 

Long-term goal: a neutral CO₂ balance by 2050

Together with the Lufthansa Group, Eurowings is committed to greater sustainability in air transport. In addition to the use of sustainable aviation fuels, this includes the introduction of brand-new aircraft such as the Airbus A320/321neo in particular – currently the most modern and efficient medium-haul aircraft in the world. They consume up to 20 percent less fuel with correspondingly lower emissions. For example, on the route from Düsseldorf to Mallorca, a fully occupied A321neo only consumes 1.9 liters per person and 100 kilometers. Eurowings will be introducing a total of 13 new aircraft of this type by mid-2024.